Sunday 20 March 2011

The Cost of ''Free Web'' Google is watching you!

There is a dilemma whether web is free. In my opinion the answers is no. I was always very fascinated by Google. It has highly targeted advertising. It monitors what we search and targets us with relevant products or advertisement.This way we are giving away information on what we like and what interests us. Although it is a long-term goal, Google will eventually make money of individual because it makes attachment to an individual by providing ‘free’ service. Although we think we have power by using web, we are being manipulated. As you can see on the picture, the minute you enter e.g. online banking into the search, relevant advertisement pops out. The World Wide Web seemed like new democracy however in 1994, web was open for business, which created new opportunities for commerce to make profit. I was a bit shocked when I found out that my email account is being scanned in order to find things I like and then sending me a relevant advertisement. So it made me think, is this system sufficient? I could have done an assignment on cars however I have no intention whatsoever to buy one. But never the less they know that on a long run I will purchase something online.  

Example of Google's Advertisement
Is there any privacy in 21st century? Well, I guess there isn't, as all my searches are being recorded and closely monitored.  There will always be so called digital fingerprint. We trade our privacy for surfing the net. I believe that ‘free web’ is alternating privacy, personal space and who we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment